Yoga is an ancient practice that aims to bring the mind and body into harmonious rhythm. It is derived from the Sanskrit word “yuji,” meaning yoke or union. It incorporates breathing exercises, meditation and poses designed to encourage relaxation and reduce stress.
According to this article from Healthline, there are 13 benefits of doing a yoga practice, which are supported by science. Summarized here, they are:
1. Yoga is known for its ability to ease stress and promote relaxation. Multiple studies have shown that it can decrease the secretion of cortisol, the primary stress hormone. When used alone or along with other methods of alleviating stress, such as meditation, yoga can be a powerful way to keep stress in check.
2. Many people begin practicing yoga as a way to cope with feelings of anxiety. Interestingly enough, there is quite a bit of research showing that yoga can help reduce anxiety. It’s not entirely clear exactly how yoga is able to reduce symptoms of anxiety, however, it emphasizes the importance of being present in the moment and finding a sense of peace, which could help treat anxiety.
3. Some studies show that yoga may reduce inflammatory markers in the body and help prevent pro-inflammatory diseases.
4. Alone or in combination with a healthy lifestyle, yoga may help decrease risk factors for heart disease.
5. Some studies show that yoga could improve quality of life and may be used as an adjunct therapy for some conditions.
6.Several studies have found that yoga may decrease symptoms of depression by influencing the production of stress hormones in the body.
7. Yoga may help reduce chronic pain in conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome and osteoarthritis.
8.Yoga may help enhance sleep quality because of its effects on melatonin and its impact on several common contributors to sleep problems.
9. Research shows that practicing yoga can help improve balance and increase flexibility.
10. Pranayama, or yogic breathing, is a practice in yoga that focuses on controlling the breath through breathing exercises and techniques. Improving breathing can help build endurance, optimize performance and keep your lungs and heart healthy.
11. Studies show that yoga may stimulate the vagus nerve and reduce migraine intensity and frequency, alone or in combination with conventional care.
12. Yoga places an emphasis on mindfulness, and some studies show that the transference of mindfulness could be used to encourage healthy eating behaviors.
13. Yoga can cause an increase in strength, endurance and flexibility. There are specific poses in yoga that are designed to increase strength and build muscle.
Current Weekly Yoga Classes:
(Please click the class title for the direct Facebook Event link/tickets, etc.)
Mindful Movement - $20
Gentle movement fused with breathwork and intention. This practice is slow, keeping you present while offering a range of shapes. Taught every Tuesday 5:30-630 pm at In Harmony Meditation & Wellness Center. Pre-registration preferred but drop-ins welcome.
Gentle Yoga - Lunch Hour Renewal - $15
Take some time mid-day (exactly on your lunch break!) to move, stretch, and relax. Moving gently with breath will invigorate your day. Leave feeling relaxed and refreshed. Taught every Wednesday from 12:10 - 12:50pm!
Yogitation - $20
This is what happens when Yoga and Meditation have a baby! Join us for this full body and mind immersive combination class which will take you through beginner and intermediate strengthening poses for the first 40 minutes, then relax with your eyes closed for a 20 minute guided visual meditation while resting in recovery pose immediately following. Sessions are every Thursday from 5:30—6:30 pm at the In Harmony Meditation & Wellness Center.
Yoga Foundations - 6 Week Senior Class - $90
Yoga Foundations is a 6-week beginner course designed for Seniors to prepare your body for increasingly active yoga poses. You will start with the basics of how to stand and situate yourself on your mat and how to move safely into and out of the various poses. Even if you haven’t been active for a really long time, you can learn Yoga through slow mindful moving, gentle stretches and strength building from the ground up. You can improve your balance, flexibility and strength by starting where movement begins. Honor your body type by gently easing into the preparatory stages and learn effective yoga poses that work for you. Build a home practice that you can live with on a daily basis. Start taking care of yourself the way you’ve always wanted and experience the full benefits of Yoga practice. Call to inquire about dates at (403) 343-9336.
Discover Chakras: Yoga Course - 8 weeks - $120
Explore your 7 chakras throughout this pre-registered session. Over 8 in-class sessions we learn the purpose of each chakra through sound vibrations, visualizations, and gentle movement. Expect each week's chakra exploration to introduce you to the chakra's function and then take some time to experience the energy within. Each in-class session also includes your own chakra card to assist with your individual chakra practice. This session runs over 10 weeks on Tuesday evenings, full details available upon request: call 403-343-9336.